Uh, thanks, Tim. I think. (And congrats on becoming a Distinguished Engineer!)
Here’s a list of five things most people probably don’t know about me:
I have a bit of graphite embedded in my left palm from a knife game — only with pencils! — gone awry when I was five years old.
I have a severe case of bovilexia.
There are nine distinct versions of Bohemian Rhapsody on my iPod:
- The original (three copies, from A Night at the Opera, Queen Greatest Hits, and the Wayne’s World soundtrack)
- The live version from the Wembley ’86 concert
- The We Will Rock You musical soundtrack (coincidentally recorded in London soon after the first time I saw it there)
- The London Symphony Orchestra version
- A rap version by Molotov on a Spanish-language “tributo a Queen“
- Two substantially different versions by the Braids (a capella and instrumental), along with two extra mixes based on these
- Two versions (Constantine and the Flaming Lips) off the intermittently amazing Killer Queen: A Tribute to Queen album (if you like the song Stone Cold Crazy, check out this version)
And I don’t even have the ID Gang Choir’s version of Bohemian Rhaps-ID on there yet.
I have performed in a strip club.
I used this in playing a game of three truths and a lie with Sara Gates, Michelle Dennedy, and some other great folks at a conference last year, so I guess they know this about me, at least. It was supposed to be the one “ringer truth” that everyone would assume was a lie, but I got tripped up by Michelle, who independently joked, just before my turn, about my “stripping career”… In fact, my first band Sleeper did play in a club (I think it was somewhere on the Pearl Harbor military base) that did indeed have, y’know, dancers as part of the entertainment. A weird experience, especially since the poor dancers had to cue up their own music on the jukebox.
I think watermelon-flavored Jolly Ranchers are an abomination.
Conor, Pat, Paul, JeffH, John: tag, you’re it! (As if there’s anything left we don’t know about Conor. Or Paul.)
Just doing my part to be a vector…
[UPDATED to fix link to John’s blog.]
[…] I managed to infect all five of my victims successfully — Conor, Pat, Paul, JeffH (on his personal blog Eclectic Reflections, not on IdentityMeme), and John. (Although beware: You have to apply the not() filter to everything in JeffH’s post, contrarian that he is.) […]
[…] Eve ??? […]
[…] Queen musical We Will Rock You three times and own the soundtrack. I’ve already admitted an unhealthy obsession with Bohemian Rhapsody. But I’m not so much of a groupie that I follow the touring show […]
[…] Mortazavi (23), Roberto Chinnici (22), Marc Hadley (21), Gerry Buechelt (20), Pat Patterson (19), Eve Maler (18), Tim Bray (17, getting into Sun now), Ugo Cei (16), Gianugo (15), Yoav Shapiro (14), Jim […]